Sunday, October 31, 2010


Not feeling so great this weekend: headache, hot flashes, some nausea and a stuffy nose. First three symptoms seem to be the lovely side effects of the decapeptyl, the other one is a cold, with thanks to my son (who is in a far worse state than I am at the moment).

Saturday, October 23, 2010


AF showed up this morning which means we're on for IVF#2! Exciting and scary at the same time (I'm already worrying on what to do for babysitting the day of the ER when I have to be at the clinic at 7 am...).

We went to the RE again on Wednesday. This time he was busier than a month ago and we had to wait for an hour to see him for only five minutes. Oh well... Got all the forms signed and took prescriptions home for all the meds for the entire cycle. The sperm test showed hubby apparently has an infection somewhere, so he has been started on antibiotics and has to redo the test in about three weeks, but luckily that doesn't mean we had to hold off cycling for another month.

I thought my recent pap meant I didn't have to go to the lab to get a vaginal test like last time, but unfortunately I was wrong. So I scheduled that in yesterday because I didn't want to run the risk of having my period and then maybe getting the test results in too late for my REs liking. It was OK, sort of. I hate it that they always assume there's something wrong (yeast infection etc), and then you have to explain 'no no, it's just a preventive measure before the start of our IVF cycle'. I still don't understand why the RE can't do it himself.

I went to see a nurse this morning to give me the IM shot of Decapeptyl 3 mg (replacing the Enantone that I had to use two years ago). Stimming starts on CD20. So nothing much going on other than stupid cramps (thank you AF) and hubby a bit afraid of me being very grumpy for the coming three weeks.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Past experience comes in handy

Before we meet again with our RE on October 20th, we have to get some tests done. I had my blood drawn last week, hubby still has to do his, which can be done at basically every medical lab in the city (of which there is one on almost every street corner here in France). But he also has to have his sperm tested again. Which of course he doesn't want do at a random lab, but at the one belonging to the fertility clinic. So he called... and they told him they didn't have space before October 28th, which of course isn't possible for us, as the RE needs to have the results on the 20th.

Luckily, we've done this before. And we know our RE. I remember several occasions where I would be in the waiting room, or in one of the transfer rooms, and he would come in, complaining to the biologists that nothing worked, etc. etc. So, I sent the RE an email, explaining the situation, asking if he could recommend another lab, or maybe find a spot at their own lab for us after all...?

Within an hour I got a call from the RE's secretary, who told me he had gone over to talk to the biologists (haha, I know exactly how that conversation went) and that we should call the lab again, ask for the biologist, tell him we spoke with the RE, say that it's urgent, and get our appointment fixed. If we still would have problems, we shouldn't hesitate to call or email the RE again. So I called. Appointment's set for next week Tuesday.