Monday, June 20, 2011

9w0d - first OB appointment

First of all, my apologies for my badly written previous post. Somehow I had intended to write a really eloquent post about time and missing my mom, but it came out pretty horribly. Oh well...

Today was my first OB appointment. I still have to laugh when all the doctors here immediately grab the color wheel to determine how far along I am in my pregnancy/what my due date is. The ultrasound doc even asked me if I had one at home when I told her I was 5w4d pregnant before she had set the wheel to the right dates. I answered that no, I didn't, but that I do have internet...

When I made the appointment I had told the assistant about the pregnancy, but my OB hadn't checked my file yet, so she didn't know and was happily surprised when I told her. She knew about the FET (I had told her when I came in with my son a few months ago when he was sick - she also does pediatrics) and she kept repeating how happy she was for me during the consult.

She checked my BP (I forgot to ask the numbers), weight (+2 kg from pre-FET), breast and cervix (all fine) and gave me a prescription for all the blood tests I have to get done during my pregnancy. The T21 test has been moved up from the second to the first trimester, so that will have to be done right after my next appointment, when I'm around 13 weeks pregnant. We also set up appointments for the coming five months (up until the 7th month of pregnancy, from then on the consultations will still be with her, but at the hospital instead of her private practice).

The crampy belly/lower back pain seems to have been replaced by headaches. Not really an improvement, but for today another excuse not to get anything done that's on my to-do list (which I will regret again tomorrow of course).

6 comments:

Valery said...

How is it that OBs hardly ever seem to catch on that with IVF or FET the moment of fertilisation is not exactly a mystery? And color wheel?!? Sounds like kindergarten science...
My BP today was 110/70. Not that that helps any with your numbers, but ehm... it's something? ;-)
Planning 5 months ahead sounds like everything is fine now. (Don't OBs check foetal heart rate?)
Maybe I should try getting pregnant myself before I talk nonsense to you, sorry for that.
greetings from Amsterdam!

China Doll said...

Glad all went well :) Btw, what's the T21 test?

lostintranslation said...

@ China Doll: T21 test is blood test to check the risk of Trisomy 21 (down's syndrome)

luckyme said...

Hi, I am enjoying following your blog. I am managing fertility treatment and now pregnancy in Spanglish. I hope all is going well at the moment. This is just a little comment as it's ILCW :)

Kelli said...

Yay...glad it went well!

St Elsewhere said...

Hey Hey Hey! Where are you lady? Post some soon!

Hope you and the Bean are well!